& Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with several women
in Hartford, Conn. Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have
a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. A cause was born.
In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs
in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations – this marked the start
of a nationwide Movement. In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its
50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter. To recognize
the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization's
name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly,
Congress amended and renewed our charter. 2006 marked the Centennial year
of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, as we celebrated 100 years of providing
hope and opportunity to young people across the country.
Boys & Girls Clubs of East Central Alabama was established on June
13, 1967. We are governed by a 20 member Board of Directors.
For over 40 years the Boys & Girls Clubs have been in the forefront
of youth development, working with young people from disadvantaged economic,
social, and family circumstances. We are dedicated to ensuring that
our community's youngsters have greater access to quality programs and
services that will enhance their lives and shape their futures.
Boys & Girls Clubs of East Central Alabama consists of 8 clubs
in Anniston, Jacksonville, Talladega, Lincoln and Roanoke. We serve
approximately 400 children a year. Our Staff is primarily part-time,
a total of 30 people on payroll and many volunteers.
Basketball game at Lincoln
Learning is fun!
A United Way Agency